Page updated: June 2018
A few rules for you
We want everyone to enjoy using the BBC Alumni Portal. All intellectual property rights in the Alumni Portal are owned by the BBC but any comment, photo or video you post remains yours. Here are a few rules that you’ll need to stick to. If you don’t, we’ll stop your access.
1. I’ll use the Alumni Portal for the purpose of staying in touch with the BBC, the BBC Alumni Relations team and my former BBC colleagues. Specifically:
- I won’t disclose access details to anyone else
- I’ll only use the Alumni Portal for private use and never for commercial purposes. You can’t advertise. We don’t allow comments that advertise or promote things like this:
- Personal websites or forums
- Surveys and questionnaires
- Websites or auction sites that mainly exist to sell stuff
- Charity or fundraising events.
- I won’t make copies of the Alumni Portal
- I won’t share any content from the Alumni Portal
- I’ll only post content written in English
2. I’ll use the Alumni Portal fairly and legally. We are a friendly and supportive community so be kind, respectful and encouraging and you’ll fit right in. Express your opinion in a way that’s polite and fair – being mean or causing arguments is not allowed and you can’t be abusive or disruptive. Specifically:
- I won’t post or communicate anything in the Alumni Portal that offends other users
- I will register to use the Alumni Portal using my real name (see our Privacy Notice for further information on how we use your personal information – you’ll have the option to hide your profile from other users in your privacy settings after you register)
- I won’t login to the Alumni Portal using another person’s identity
- I won’t share or inappropriately use the personal data of anyone else (such as using it for the distribution of unsolicited communications)
- I won’t post any comment, photo or video that is discriminatory, obscene, illegal or similar
- I won’t upload any files that might be or seem to be infected with a virus.
3. I understand that there is no guarantee for the availability of the service or operational reliability.
4. I agree that any comment, photo or video I post will be moderated by the BBC Alumni Relations team who may remove inappropriate content or stop my access.
5. We take great care that the BBC Alumni Portal is the best it can be. We’re not liable for anything that happens (a mishap) if:
- you rely on advice, data, commentary, opinions or any other information
- there are errors, omissions, interruptions, delays, bugs or viruses
- we turn off or remove anything or this service
- the thing that happens couldn’t reasonably have been foreseen
- the thing that happens wouldn’t usually result from the mishap
- you and we hadn’t agreed that this thing would probably happen in the event of a mishap